How many clothes do I need for my baby? What are the different varieties and sizes of baby clothes that I should keep on hand? Which sizes of baby clothing do I need for my newborn?
I have been asked these questions many times from parent’s in our Coco Moon Hawaii community, so I just knew it was time to write an article about it to share my knowledge with you.
It’s so common for first-time parents to have these questions, especially as the due date for your new baby gets closer.
To all of our readers and soon-to-be mommies and daddies, I would like to say that you’re in great company; we all have the same questions! This article is going to give you the answers you’re looking for. I’ll highlight a few basic tips that will remove the guesswork on sizes and quantity. So sit back, grab your Kona-coffee and keep reading!
Baby clothes - what to keep in mind
Let’s begin with some helpful tips.
When buying clothes for newborn there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- The fabric should be soft, comfortable, and breathable. Baby skin is highly sensitive, and cheap, harsh fabric can be too rough on babies skin.
- Babies can easily overheat, so dress them for the temperature outside. If it’s warm outside then a light baby coverall with a handy bi-directional zipper is perfect. These are easy to get on and off, and perhaps most importantly, make diaper changes easier! And who doesn’t want a way to make that a little easier.
- A lightweight baby hat will protect delicate little heads from high winds and airborne debris. Coco Moon Hawaii baby hats are made from 90% viscose from bamboo and 10% spandex making them easy to get on, soft, and secure so they won’t easily fall off.
- You will be doing a lot of laundry, so stock up on the basics. Think about functionality more than how fancy the clothing looks.
- Babies grow even faster than you might expect, which means they will outgrow clothing very quickly. Be prepared with a few items of the next size up on hand for the day you wake up and realise the old size no longer fits!
Essential baby clothes
The most enjoyable part of baby clothes shopping is all the variety!
Hands up who doesn’t love going baby shopping just to ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ at all the gorgeous outfit choices for baby girls and boys.
You’ll find so many adorable colors, patterns, shapes, and designs that it’s hard not to get distracted from the essentials. So, here I have provided a list of the clothing item essentials. Pop these at the top of your list.
- Rompers/coveralls or bodysuits for the summer baby (a minimum of seven - a mix of full length and short rompers). I recommend the fabric we use at Coco Moon Hawaii as it’s derived from bamboo and there is nothing softer. The 10% spandex makes them nice and stretchy. Make sure that the neck hole is wide enough so it’s not a struggle to get on and off. Also, make sure the bottom has snaps so you can change the diaper without undressing the baby. The great thing about rompers / onesies and coveralls is that they are fine for day and night.
- For winter babies, the bodysuits should be of warmer fabric with long sleeves, but the recommended quantity of 7 remains the same. Avoid synthetic and woolen fabrics, again cotton and bamboo retain the warmth and are delicate on the skin. Cotton jersey knit fabric and light fleece are also favorites.
- Buy at least seven pairs of baby socks, light material if summer and warm in winter.
- Get two to three swaddle blankets for the first few months as it helps the baby to sleep.
If you are expecting a baby in the winter, then there are a few other essential baby clothes to buy, such as jackets (2-3), mittens (2 pairs), booties (2), and lightweight blankets.
Baby Clothes Size Checklist
Image above courtesy of Sizeguide.net
The sizing chart above is the perfect guide for US baby clothes.
You may feel as though you need to buy dozens of outfits in every size, but as I mentioned earlier, babies grow so quickly. No doubt you’ll also receive plenty of outfits as gifts, so your role can be stocking up on the essentials.
Keep visiting Coco Moon Hawaii for our beautiful baby clothing and visit our blog post for more handy parenting tips!